Monday, April 18, 2005

Monday

Richard Bode, "Beachcombing in Miramar":

"I believe the desire for beauty is built into me, as it is built into everyone, and that out lifelong quest for it is our greatest and most important morality play. Beauty is the antonym of violence, the antidote for all the pent-up rage in the world. We have this choice--we can opt for beauty or we can opt for violence. If we choose violence, then death and destruction will be our reward. If we choose beauty, we will create a bower of quiet for our children, and for ourselves a sleep full of sweet dreams."

Wishing you all a good week.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tee said...

aaaaahhhhh, it is SOOOOOO GOOOOOD to have you back.

balm for my heart that has been done violence to this week by friends at work. "broken music"... "heartbroken"...i'm currently drowning myself to Lara Fabian's "Broken Vow". in the hope that the vile memories would flow with the notes out of my system.

thank you for sharing :)

April 21, 2005 11:30 AM  
Blogger nini said...

Hey Tina! You're very welcome.
I am sorry to hear that things have not been good at work. :(
Hope this has been even a bit helpful. Chin up. :)

April 21, 2005 12:18 PM  
Blogger nini said...

While admittedly this is a nice quote, I wouldn’t recommend that you read “Beachcombing In Miramar”. I first read this book maybe ten years ago, and while it made some fine points, overall it wasn’t quite “right”. Richard Bode’s autobiography seemed selfish to me then, if not a bit arrogant, with his “I’m more enlightened than the rest of the world” tone.

I recently pulled it down from my shelf, thinking that time and experience might lead me to read it differently. But no, that selfish and self-righteous vibe is still there. In this reader’s humble opinion, Bode’s journey to inner peace is misdirected. He’ll tell you about his quest for an “authentic” life by recounting the “failures” of those around him. It’s a giant chip on his shoulder disguised as enlightenment. Steer clear of people and writing like this.

April 27, 2005 12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home