Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Picture Pack Rat

Two weeks ago I did more sorting and cleaning in the office. I went through so much stuff that I just KNOW i kept for a reason -- mostly for reference, sometimes (though very rarely) for posterity. But looking through them I realized I didn't really need or want to keep anything anymore. I ended up throwing out practically everything.

Online photo storage though is a great idea. Now I can be a pack rat without feeling guilty -- all I have to do is turn digital. Here are some beautiful pictures (ordinary deskjet printouts actually) that were given to me as placeholders for a project I worked on eons ago:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Are these Ifugao? T'boli? Something else entirely? Shame how little I know of my own country's cultural groups. Aren't those costumes just lovely? I remember how I drooled over a T'boli jacket in a tiny, stuffy antique shop in Robinson's Ermita. It was being sold for P6,000. The shopkeeper said it was for an adult, but it was so small. It looked more like a child's garment, except it was covered with embroidery and intricate mother-of-pearl beadwork. It took my breath away.

2 Comments:

Blogger nini said...

Ooh, so I'm not the only one dreaming of owning (and wearing) a complete T'boli costume. :)

I once went to a bazaar where someone was selling..believe it or not, traditional Armenian wedding garments. These things were SOBRANG beautiful, with hammered metal "scales" and the most intricate beadwork. My friends couldn't tear me away from the stall. The man's garment (complete with headpiece) cost something like P40T. The woman's cost more. If I had the money to burn I definitely would have bought those pieces. They were amazing. :)

March 17, 2005 10:49 AM  
Blogger nini said...

Thanks, Kai. It was happy.
I hope you've been well, and that we each other sometime.

April 04, 2005 11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home