Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Carlo And Amelia Earheart

Last weekend I buckled down to clean out my hard drive. Carlo came bearing food and the evening’s entertainment: as I happily ate dinner, he amused me by becoming engrossed with an issue of Outside, one of my favourite magazines. This is (so far) the only publication I know of that has on more than one occasion featured a person off to do something I’ll find hugely impressive (paddle the pacific, ride a bike to Everest, save a rainforest, etc) and then have to post his/her obituary a few issues later.

This particular issue was a special called The Fear Issue, and included a piece on “unsolved mysteries” – did Mallory really top Everest first, what did happen to Amelia Earheart (was she Tokyo Rose?), did cannibals really eat Michael Rockefeller, etc. etc. But there was also a little sidebar of the more campy stuff like the Mothman and El Chupacabra, which cracked him up as he read. I think he enjoyed it more than he cares to admit. (He isn’t the first though, as a cousin who picked up this issue was similarly hooked. It's time you two are introduced, no? :)

He pointed out that Amelia Earheart has an official website. This woman rocks.

"One of my favorite phobias is that girls, especially those whose tastes aren't routine, often don't get a fair break... It has come down through the generations, an inheritance of age-old customs which produced the corollary that women are bred to timidity."

2 Comments:

Blogger C said...

E funny naman talaga ang name na El Chupacabra. ;)

August 31, 2004 11:12 PM  
Blogger Eli said...

I wanna read. El Chupa...cabra.... intrigues me

September 01, 2004 12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home