Tuesday, May 17, 2005

On Fear, Sci-fi Nuns And Lobsters

I was doing research for my latest issue of the Lunch Box, my children’s activity column that appears in the Junior Inquirer. I wanted to do something about phobias, and was looking for materials on fear and whatnot. Among what turned up were these little gems. While I can’t use these for the kids, I will hang onto them if only to share them with you here. Hooray for blogging!

First, the Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear from Frank Herbert’s “Dune” (I haven’t read this book and have seen approximately 20 minutes of the Hallmark movie. I know, I know…how crude of me. Aren’t the Bene Gesserits those cool scheming nuns?):

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Nice. But don’t the French call something else “The Little Death”? Never mind, I like this next one even better. Dave Barry writes:

"All of us are born with a set of instinctive fears--of falling, of the dark, of lobsters, of falling on lobsters in the dark, or speaking before a Rotary Club, and of the words "Some Assembly Required."

Tee hee.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home