Monday, December 20, 2004

Stealth Shopping

Today I started my holiday shopping…it seemed the right thing to do considering Christmas Eve is only 4 days away (you open your presents after Noche Buena too, right?). Our December schedule has been nuts.

So anyway, after a fruitful speed-shopping trip in Alabang (toys for the kids) I prepared to drive up to Makati. Secretly, because high on the agenda was to pick out C’s Christmas present. It was carefully planned, all thought out. After lunch I got into my car and began my leisurely drive, only to get a call from him on my phone while I was lined up at the Nichols tollgate. He said he was on his way to the gym. We spoke earlier in the day, and I was hoping he’d assume I was still in the Alabang mall. I tried to sound as casual and as vague as I could, while a plane from the airport roared overhead and the teller tried to get my attention. Concerned he would overhear all the telltale background noise and ask where I was, I cut the conversation short.

Satisfied that I was in the clear I drove on. At the traffic stop on the corner of EDSA and Ayala, I idled, congratulating myself for my Super Stealth Shopping Skills. And then, a message on my phone:

C: I JUST SAW YOU! You’re on EDSA!
Me (panicked): That wasn’t me.
C: Where are you going?

I cracked up just then, and rang him. He said I just drove past him. I was laughing when I told him I was going shopping, which made things worse because I sounded guilty. Like Bigfoot in the woods I had been spotted and the only thing left to do was to become even more evasive. He asked a couple more times where I was headed, and I desperately tried to ignore the question. I mean, what were the odds?

I shall remain vague, but let’s just say the trip wasn’t entirely foiled. (grin)

3 Comments:

Blogger C said...

You are keeping secrets!! *single tear

December 20, 2004 11:08 PM  
Blogger Tee said...

you guys are funny :))))

and because of that you just made my list:

current favorite couple of the season
*hail!hail!*

December 21, 2004 8:18 PM  
Blogger nini said...

Thanks, Eli. Merry Christmas to you too!
And to you T, (clasping air trophy) this is our first award together...thank you so much! :)

December 26, 2004 1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home