Thursday, November 25, 2004

Christmas Card?



Ages ago, when I was still a member of Ilustrador Ng Kabataan (an organization of illustrators for children) we were asked by Museo Pambata for design proposals for their annual christmas cards. I sent this one. The girl was a recurring character in my drawings back then. I "distressed" the original drawing by creasing the paper and dipping it in tea. Then I added gold dust when it dried. I was very fond of this piece. The museum sent it back though, saying it wasn't "Filipino" enough. I recall that the cards they did end up producing that year were every square inch crammed with jeepneys, parols and simbang gabi. Very festive and colorful. I guess they sold well.

We were asked to send designs to Hallmark as well and so off this went again. "It looks sad," they told me when they sent it back. Un-Filipino and unhappy. Hmm.

My girl with potted plant finally saw print when a friend decided she wanted to produce her own greeting cards one Christmas. I think I still have a couple of pieces left.

I suppose it has always bothered me that there is in general a rather narrow perception of what "Pinoy" ought to look. I don't know...I'm Filipino and I drew the picture. I don't think it looks decidedly un-Filipino, and if it does it definitely wasn't my intention. What would have made it look more Filipino? If there was a nipa hut and a coconut tree in the background? Come on. And while we're at it, I don't think it looks sad. A little moody maybe, but not sad. But then again maybe that's why I don't work for Hallmark.

5 Comments:

Blogger nini said...

You're a sweetheart, Eli. Thanks for the pat on the back -- I was beginning to think this post sounded a bit bitter.
I will rummage around for those cards. If I find them we'll fill one out for you.
Now about that mac... :)

November 26, 2004 12:53 PM  
Blogger nini said...

Tee hee.
Have you received my email?

November 27, 2004 3:25 PM  
Blogger nini said...

Hello, Kai! :)
Thanks for the tip. Flowers and sunshine next Christmas card...

November 30, 2004 10:27 AM  
Blogger J. said...

I've heard Hallmark is a soul-sucking place to work anyway.

Why does it have to look more Filipino? Personally, I'm Filipino/Chinese/Portuegese/Hawaiian/English/Irish and I'd buy that card. I don't think it looks sad at all. It's poignant and touching... and generally expresses how the winter holidays make me feel.

I say look into self-publishing. Lulu.com does that kind of thing and so does CafePress.com

I like your illustration.

Best regards,
Jolene

January 12, 2005 11:39 AM  
Blogger nini said...

I appreciate your note, Jolene.
I'll check out the sites you recommended. :)

January 14, 2005 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home