Sunday, November 14, 2004

In The Dark

On the 12th of November, Carlo’s friend, a photographer named Mike Llorin was killed by a stray bullet. I am told he was attending a car show in Makati, when a group outside got into an argument and, as absolute morons are wont to do, decided the only way to settle it was with their guns.

I met Mike last week at a store opening. The briefest crossing of paths, and now this horrible turn of events. There is a wave of sadness, shock and anger in C’s community. I am told that Mike was a fine human being. I am also told that people aren’t just saying this about him because he is gone -- as is sometimes the tendency -- but because he really was a good man, in an age when goodness is often an afterthought. I can’t even say that I knew this man, but the senselessness of his death makes my spirit weep.

Mike was married with three children. He was 30 years old.

(I know You are reading this. I want You to explain this to me. I am waiting.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Tee said...

(((((( nins )))))) =*(

November 16, 2004 12:17 PM  
Blogger vcalanog said...

To paraphrase a fairly wise man you yourself quoted, we must become the sense we seek in this world.

Death in any form need not be senseless, but it is up to us for this to be so.

You know I speak from experience.

November 17, 2004 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home