Monday, February 06, 2006

Did I Ever Say I Was Reasonable?

I went to my bank’s ATM this morning to pay a few bills. I had to access separate accounts for each, and since no one was lining up behind me I went through my transactions carefully, a little more methodically than usual. After paying the second bill, I noticed a woman about my age, standing almost completely behind the corner wall, barely visible. I asked her if she wanted to go ahead since I was about to do a third payment. She walked past me toward the machine, saying she just wanted to check her balance. “I’m sorry,” I said, “I didn’t see you. Were you waiting long?” A few seconds passed as she started punching in her numbers. With her back to me she responded in monotone, “Kinda.”

The answer annoyed me. I suddenly had visions of tackling her, and for added effect, flinging her across the bank’s marble floor via the sweater she had wrapped around her waist. My fantasies lasted just long enough for her to complete her business and walk out. After which I returned to the machine and finished up the last of my bills.

Zero points for mental equanimity today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home