Friday, September 10, 2004

Górecki

It has been a week since my last post. Has the novelty of the blog worn thin, sports fans? No, it has just been a busy week, full of action, mystery and international intrigue…okay, so I exaggerate. But it has been a good, busy week – meetings, projects, plans, friends, loved ones, lunches, churros, chorizos…you name it.

I am in a “mood” today. My musical score of choice is Henryk Górecki’s Symphony No. 3, Op. 36 – “Symphony of Sorrowful Songs”, composed only in 1976. I am right now listening to a 1995 recording of it, performed, interestingly, by the Philharmonic Orchestra of Gran Canaria. The work is in 3 movements, and runs about an hour. Listen to the first movement on a bad day and you might find yourself clawing at the walls. Grief put to music, but as the work progresses you will find that it evolves into something hopeful and comforting. On the whole it is a staggering piece of music, just gorgeous. It may amuse you to know that this symphony has been “sampled”—you will hear it in Lamb’s “Gorecki”; The soprano solo from the first movement appears in Tears for Fears’ “Break It Down Again”. No. 3 was also used in Peter Weir’s film “Fearless” (a rare instance when the film adaptation was better than the actual book, I ought to add).

Work in the office is in a shambles today. What has happened this week, I think, isn’t unlike sensory overload. When too many things happen to me in a short span of time, my creativity and sense of order seem to get shipped off somewhere I can’t follow. My inner Zen monk has gone on holiday and I must get the little guy to come back.

It’s 2pm. I am starving and will step out for lunch. I know exactly what I want to eat—a big bowl of hot minestrone, bread with olive oil and balsamic, and a glass of white wine. The ultimate in comfort food.

Have a good weekend, loveys.

2 Comments:

Blogger C said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

September 11, 2004 2:42 AM  
Blogger C said...

I had a great week myself. :)

September 11, 2004 2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home