Thursday, August 05, 2004

Underlined

I came from the doctor this morning. The stitches are not ready to be removed, and I am a little disappointed. Will still have the Band of Brothers Look at dinner tonight, loveys. “Kung tanggalin natin ngayon” the doctor said, “baka bumukas lang ‘yan kung tumawa ka.”

Eww. Enough said.

Today I pulled down a book of poems by Rainer Maria Rilke. I recall buying it in a Saint-Germain bookshop in Paris years ago, and reading it with relish. Aside from the German and English versions of his poems, the book contains excerpts of wonderful letters Rilke had written throughout his lifetime to friends and loved ones. I had forgotten how much I had (very neatly) underlined—lines, passages, translator’s notes. I encircled page numbers of poems I loved. The things that moved me years ago stopped my heart again today, and if it were possible I’d read them all to you.

“Then, from His place of ambush, God leapt out.”

Today everything is dear – waking up, the messages of friends, the kindness of family, the afternoon quiet, the taste of lunch, even the necessities of work. Outside we have good, good sun and everything is green. I’m charmed to pieces.

Maybe this is what a blow to the head does.

1 Comments:

Blogger nini said...

Bwahahaha!
Yes, I even had a photo taken with the street sign.

August 07, 2004 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home