Tuesday, August 03, 2004


The water has been flat the last month, so we were unable to take my cousin Mikel out to learn how to surf. On Sunday we went wakeboarding instead, with my brother Mikki, and my girl friends Ellen, Monica and Kats.

We didn’t use the boards with the usual bindings, but ones with nylon straps that look like snug bag handles you slip your feet into. I decided to have one last round before we left for lunch, and made a bit of (personal) history: On a turn, I guess my feet slipped out of the straps, I flew out in front of the board, and then caught it in the forehead. I didn’t feel it strike but I heard it—a flat thud, the kind you hear when you kick a piece of thick ply board. I could hardly see because there was so much blood. Another boarder helped me rinse my eyes out, get out of the water and go to first aid. They were able to stop the bleeding so we had time to travel back to Manila. The board had sliced my forehead, exposing bone. It wasn’t a long cut but deep enough to require two layers of stitches.

This would have been an entirely different story if I had been with a bunch of hysterical harpies, but it is by grace that I was with friends and family with wonderful reserves of humor. Kats said I looked like Carrie rising out of the sea, and drove my car back to Manila. Monica got me a sandwich and helped me shower for the trip back. Everyone accompanied me to the Asian Hospital (Bianca followed, asking if she should bring a camera). Ellen went with me for my head x-rays (“finally, Ellen, I’m getting my head examined”) gave running commentary and took photos (I’m tempted to post them, but on second thought..) while the doctor stitched me up. Mikel was also there, giving tai-chi breathing techniques. Mikki entertained our friends in the waiting room. Jokes were cracked about my getting “bangs” and how I looked like a Band of Brothers extra. Mikel and I have decided we should get me a nice pink helmet with a little Ms. Universe sticker on it :) Great big kisses and hugs to all of you. (..and to the funny doctor, the nice nurses and to Jeff the wakeboarder)

I had my hair washed at my favorite parlor today, and they treated me extra gently (thank you!). Two days after the stitches, x-rays and shots, I am back at work, feeling rather unglamorous with my bandaged forehead. The stitches sting once in a while, my stomach hurts from my medicines, and my neck is still sore. But it is truly a small price to pay. I’m really, really, really glad to be here. Tomorrow will be just great.


Blogger Carlo said...


August 03, 2004 10:39 PM  
Blogger Eli said...

I got so weak in the knees. I hope you feel better soon!

On a lighter note.. did I read, "surfing"? Oh I want to break into song.

August 04, 2004 3:15 AM  
Blogger nini said...

Thanks, Eli. When this is all nice and healed, we should go sometime! (with a proper board)

August 05, 2004 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home